Family in Italian
In this lesson you’ll learn how to talk about your family in Italian. Practice your Italian pronunciation as you listen to the audio, and while you’re at it, take a closer look at the different ways to say 'my' in Italian.
Talking about your family in Italian will also help you understand how the Italian masculine and feminine principles work.
By the end of this lesson you’ll also know how to talk about more than one person.
Talking about Family in Italian
Let’s look at how you would pronounce your immediate family members in Italian:
Using My in Italian
Notice that in English we always use “my”, whatever person or group of people we are talking about. In Italian, “my” takes on three different forms depending on the person or thing in question! “Mia” refers to a woman or a feminine item, “Mio” is used for a man or masculine item, and “Miei" or "Mie” is used when we talk about more than one person or item! Take a good look at the above list and begin to make the connections about gender rules and you will be half-way to understanding how Italian people think and speak!
I hope you enjoyed today's lesson!
Here are a few recommended Italian lessons to try next!
- Describing the colors in Italian is essential to spice up your conversational skills.
- Talking about your feelings in Italian is a great way to connect with Italians.
- Know how to say nationalities in Italian.
- An important lesson on the structure and pronouncing numbers in Italian.
- At an Italian restaurant? Try ordering in Italian!
Maria DiLorenzi and the Rocket Italian Team