French in French
How do you say French in French? Well, that depends on whether the word French is being used as a noun or an adjective!
- Vous parlez français ? - You speak French? (polite form)
- Oui, je parle français - Yes, I speak French
- Je sais parler français - I know how to speak French
- Je suis française - I am French (female talking)
- Un fromage français - A French cheese
- Marie est française - Marie is French
Le français (the noun)Le français is a masculine noun, and the word for the French language in French.
Remember, a noun is a naming word. In French, nouns do not change their gender based on the gender of the person talking.
So, regardless of whether you are a man or a woman you would say;
- Je parle français - I speak French
français (the adjective)When français is used as an adjective it is describing something that is French.
Remember, an adjective has to agree with the nouns/subjects that they describe. And in French you add an “e” to the end to make the adjective agree with a feminine noun/subject.
For instance, if you are a female and wish to describe yourself as being French you would say;
- Je suis française - I am French (and therefore pronounce the "s")
- Je suis français - I am French (and therefore not pronounce the "s")