“Wand” vs “Mauer”



I was checking these two nouns with the dictionary “https://www.collinsdictionary.com”.
I get to the same translation “wall”.
Is it fair to conclude that both words are interchangeable?


Hallo RexV, 

Wand is used for indoor walls (in a house):
Ich hänge das Bild an die Wand. - I hang the picture up on the wall. 

Mauer is used for outdoor walls (like the garden wall, or the Berlin wall). 

I hope that helps, 

Ask a question or post a response

If you want to ask a question or post a response you need to be a member.

If you are already a member login here.
If you are not a member you can become one by taking the free Rocket German trial here.