Ordering in German
Ordering in German will be easy after this audio lesson – don’t leave home without it! If you’re planning on eating out in Germany you’ll need to know how to ask for what you want.
Vegetarian? Not what you ordered? No problem! The Rocket German team will teach you what you need to know to impress your friends - and the waiter! Listen to the audio and practice saying the phrases aloud. And if you get the chance to try them out at a German restaurant closer to home, don’t be shy!
- Möchten Sie schon etwas zu trinken bestellen? - Would you like to order some drinks to start with?
- Haben Sie schon gewählt? - Have you chosen already?
- Was möchten Sie bestellen? - What would you like to order?
- Möchten Sie eine Vorspeise? - Would you like a starter / appetizer?
- Was darf es sein? - What would you like?
- Möchten Sie bestellen? - Would you like to order?
- Was möchten Sie essen? - What would you like to eat?
- Ja, bitte? - Yes, please?
- Ein Moment, bitte. - One moment, please.
- Ich möchte bitte schon etwas zu trinken bestellen. - I'd like to order something to drink to start with.
Ordering at a restaurant in German
It’s not common in Germany to be seated by the waiter or waitress. Instead you just choose the table yourself. In some restaurants the menu will be on the table already otherwise the waiter will bring it over to you as soon as possible. After being greeted you could get asked one of the following questions…
Here are the names of some dishes and drinks that you might find on the menu…