Basic German phrases
This free German language lesson is not to be missed - just a few minutes with the Rocket German team and you'll know a range of basic German phrases to use when socializing with German people.
Maybe you want to blend in with the locals or perhaps you need to apologize! Either way, these common German expressions are essential for your German survival kit. Try to use these words in your daily life and it will help you to remember them – it won’t hurt your friends and family to learn a little German too!
- Alles Gute! - All the best!
- Herzliche Grüße an… - Best wishes to...
- Herzlichen Glückwunsch! - Congratulations!
- Herzlich Willkommen! - Welcome!
- Mein Beileid! - With sympathy!
- Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! - Best wishes on your birthday!
- Gesundheit! - Bless you!
- Schöne Ferien! - Have a nice vacation!
- Frohe Ostern! - Happy Easter!
- Frohe Weihnachten! - Merry Christmas!
How to pronounce basic German phrases
A very polite, but less common way of apologizing in German is to say…